Thread: Iron Fire
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2018, 07:09 AM
Snooze2978

Well, I have ordered the Chi iron. Read reviews on 2 sites that helped make my mind up. It has 2 options for the auto-off. If it is standing up it will shut off after 30 or 60 minutes. If laying flat, 30-60 seconds. My habit was if the iron was standing up I knew it to be on, if laying in the cradle just off the ironing board it was off. Obviously those 2 days it was left on I didn't go with my normal habit. I won't need to worry about any dumpster divers on this iron as the cord is burnt thru. As to my ironing station I'd just put on new silver fabric about a week prior but bought enough to cover again. Will wait awhile before I recover it again though.

I also now have a surge protector installed above the ironing cradle and turn it off after use if its going to be awhile before I come back to use it. Still a bit rattled I guess.

As to the Chi iron, it comes with 4 options...........non-retractable cord with a dial, retractable cord with a dial, non-retractable with digital readout and retractable with digital readout. I chose the non-retractable cord with a dial as it was the least expensive in case it doesn't work as they say. Will let you all know what I think about this iron next week when it arrives.

Also thank you all for your concerns. I have learned to be more careful now in my older years. Also There is nothing else on this circuit so I don't have to worry about it interferring with a sewing machine. They are all on their own circuits on surge protectors in the other room. When I bought this house, I changed out the fuse box to circuit breakers asking for extra wall sockets on separate circuits in case I decide to have all my machines going at the same time. As I didn't know who or how the present wall plugs were installed I had to take a chance on them but this special type surge protector told me exactly what I had to work with cause as soon as I plugged it in it screamed "line fault" meaning the old type wiring......2-wire with no copper. My electrician tried to get past that but I prevailed on that issue.

Take care and thanks all for your suggestions and concerns.