View Single Post
Old 11-29-2018, 12:08 PM
Iceblossom

I don't know why I can't get line breaks on this computer. Looks like my settings are the same on both I use, but this one doesn't break... I would agree with the statement that unless you want to enter a quilt in a show, you can do whatever you want. Even then, it's your quilt do it your way and if you get a point or two taken off for a square edge, so be it. I flaunt the quilt police all the time by pressing my seams open and have for decades, but about 10 years ago or so I started always using bias binding and always mitering my bindings. Nothing wrong (nor points taken off) for straight grain binding. I really like working with stripes and often choose striped fabric for binding because I simply like the way it looks as it marches around the quilt. I also typically use wider bindings than most folk, usually .5", sometimes larger than that. For me binding is part of the quilt it is a chance for another fabric/statement. Many quilters who have troubles with those miters are not stopping the .25" away from the edge. I know at least one of my friends tries to pin the entire edge to the quilt first and then wonders why it doesn't work... you really have to get that seam allowance in. As is getting the right angles for both the miters and for making your bias tube. If you are making bias binding and you are having problems with your seams meeting correctly, double check that you drew your lines right and then chances are your angle is off. The trick I learned to finish the ends easily and quickly every time is this. For one, I seem to need a lot more working room than other people. I leave 8-10 inches unsewn from the seam point at both ends. Before I start putting on the binding I make sure that the edge is correctly cut on the 45 degree angle. Then, as I approach the seam point I open up both ends of the fabric. I overlap the starting edge over the ending edge, and I draw the line with a pencil. Then I lift up the starting edge and draw another line half an inch towards the direction I want to cut off. This is important! If you cut it the wrong way, you can simply sew on another piece and try again. The half inch gives you your two quarter inch seams. Here's one of my quilts with a striped fabric binding even though I didn't use that fabric in the quilt.
Attached Thumbnails monkey.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 11-29-2018 at 12:11 PM.