View Single Post
Old 11-30-2018, 02:46 AM
Mkotch

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
while my mitered corners are not perfect, I have learned a couple of tips I pass along to my beginner classes. One is to make sure you fold up at a 45 degree angle and then when folding the strip back down, check that the left hand edge is lined up perfected--if it's cattywompus it won't fold over into a good miter. also, when you are backstitching at that fold, stop about one stitch before the top edge and make sure not to backstitch up into the seam allowance, it tugs when you are folding over for the miter. I use the F. & P. method for joining the ends--just pick up any F. & P. magazine and they will show in the back technique section (was just in latest Quilty issue). Good luck!
This is what I try to do, too. I also sometimes shave off little pieces of the corners to make sure I get a nice miter. Lately, I've been pretty good at this as a result. I never use bias because I have trouble cutting it evenly. But I do sometimes use WOF or LOF for rounded corners. I lay a salad plate down on the corner and cut around it so that the resulting curve isn't too sharp. Looks pretty!