View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 06:58 AM
JJBlaine

When I first started learning about quilting, I had to learn from books, as I didn't know anyone who quilted, and there were no quilt shops around back then. I remember reading that "real" quilts were quilted by hand.

I was so excited when an older neighbor mentioned to me that there was a quilting class at the local senior center, and that I should go. She assured me I would be welcome, even though I was only in my early twenties at the time.

I turned out to be less of a class, and more of a weekly gathering, where a group of about a dozen ladies, the youngest of which was in her 70s, came together and worked on their individual projects, offer support and encouragement. Very much like we do here on this board, now that I think of it.

During the first "class", I remember being surprised that the ladies in the class either tied their quilts or quilted them by machine. I asked one of the ladies about it. She said to me, quite loudly , "We're Old! We don't have time to do it by hand!" Another lady piped in, "Anyone who doesn't think my quilts are real, isn't getting one of my imaginary quilts!." All of the other ladies started laughing and cheering in agreement.

I am so grateful I took that "class." Not only did I learn a lot from those wonderful and talented ladies, I never had any qualms about machine quilting!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-09-2018 at 05:38 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps