View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 10:31 AM
Kwiltr

Default Another Copyright Question

I just read this thread with interest where to find a pattern like this? in terms of someone looking for a particular pattern. Lots of people offered help about saving a copy of the picture, the fact that it was a log cabin block with a certain colour placement. Essentially, negating the necessity of purchasing a pattern for the quilt if it even exists out there somewhere. I gather the log cabin block is an old block probably beyond copyright law, but what about the colour placement. I’ve seen several threads where people have seen a quilt on Pinterest and said I just figured it out without the pattern and made it.

So I have a couple of questions as I recently saw a FB post commenting about, sorry can’t remember the exact wording, but it was like intellectual property and the example quilt looked to me to be a Storm at Sea quilt where the pattern designer had used specific colour placement to create heart shapes and selling the pattern. Now to me, if I own an SAS pattern and I change the colour scheme, have I created an original pattern based on the colour scheme alone? Am I expected to buy this persons pattern because I liked their colour scheme?

Secondly, if I also “figure out” a quilt and make it for my own personal use, without financial gain, and give credit as inspiration for example here on the forum, is that okay?

i respect pattern designers and own lots of patterns, but once you make several different quilts it’s, not always rocket science to figure out some of these quilt designs and end up coming up with your own construction method without the aid of a pattern.

Last edited by Kwiltr; 12-08-2018 at 10:40 AM.