View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 01:39 PM
bkay

I've read a lot about this subject. You can copyright a pattern. As I understand it, that copyright extends to the paper, the words and the photos. I cannot copy Suzy Smith's pattern for XYZ quilt and sell it. I cannot copy her photos and use them on my website (although it's often done). If I buy her pattern, I can make 500 quilts from her pattern and sell the quilts, but not the pattern.

It's just like a recipe. I can use a recipe to make a dish and sell it if I wish. I can't copy the recipe book and sell it, though. I can make the recipe and take a photo (and copy the layout of the photo in the cookbook) and post it on Facebook and that is not copyright infringement.

My own personal interest in this subject was spurred when I bought a pattern for a wheelchair lap quilt. The maker says on the pattern that you cannot make wheelchair lap quilts from her pattern and sell them. I had no intention to do that, but I sent the pattern back and asked for a refund anyway.

bkay

Also, many people don't know this, but if you post your own photo to Pinterest, it is then becomes public domain. Which means anyone can copy it and use it as if it's their own.