Old 12-16-2018, 04:39 PM
Linmar

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Welcome to the QB!

First of all, I am not familiar with any of the Jukis, so cannot give you a comparison.

Before making your decision, I would nudge you to the Janome 6600 over the 6500.
As you already know the 6500 is an older machine. The 6600 is a bit newer model, but still order.
Both are good machines. However, the 6600 has a few more updates over the 6500.
I'm pretty sure it has the start/stop feature too! Sorry I forget what else.

When I bought my 6600, the dealer had shown me the 6500, knowing it was a step or two about my current machine. I asked, what would be my next step up, over the 6500, and of course, he showed me the 6600. Right away, I knew I wanted the 6600 because of the update differences. Stepping up again was to the 7700, but nope, it had far more than I wanted.

The 6600 is a workhorse and I still love that machine, even though I do not have it.
From all I know the 6500 is a workhorse too, but just not quite so sweet as the 6600, and if your dealer cannot get it for you, then I think you have your answer.

Nothing wrong with considering a used machine ... especially if your dealer will give you a 30 day warranty, so you can give it a good run and know all is good!

Another good Janome workhorse is the 1600 .... no fancy stitches is the drawback. I used it one time mine was in for servicing and TBH I quite liked it and would jump fast if I ever saw a super deal on it.
QuiltE -An acquaintance (an avid quilter) showed me her 6600 recently and beams every time she talks about it. One of the two local dealers offered to get one for me a lot more than the 6500. The 6600 has the Start/Stop, the Acufeed system and additional decorative stitches. (Those are the upgraded features I remember, anyway.) Unfortunately the price is still quite high - $2000. And the 6700 is much more than that.

As a beginner sewist, I'm finding it hard to justify the additional expense. Were I more skilled, I certainly would dive on it. I'm hoping that if I can wait a bit longer, there might be a price drop with the new year. The other thought I had would be to get the Juki F600 and keep my eyes open for a used Janome so that I could experience both eventually. I have seen at least 3 locally in the past few months, but would prefer to buy new. OTOH, I have never seen a used F600 in my area.