Old 12-16-2018, 06:59 PM
SuzzyQ

I vote a "real machine" too. And if she is anywhere near me, I'd love to work with her in your stead. But look into classes at quilt shops, fabric stores and definitely look into 4-H. That's where I learned to sew many years ago. Otherwise, schedule sewing weekends with her and let her use her machine with you until you are satisfied she can work with it. That will get her into sewing faster than anything - weekends with grandma! That will probably be the only time she sews anyway.
I speak from experience - I've been working with my 11 year old grand daughter for almost three years now, just on the occasional weekend. She's too busy with her other interests the rest of the time.
We started with a quilt that we glued pretty patches on then I "steered and she operated the foot pedal. Then a pillow that she sewed with me beside her. Then pj pants - and then she made two more pair for her brother and cousin. She attended my 4-H Quilting Camp last summer and made a bed runner. Next up is a nightgown out of micro fleece (I guess that's what it is). All on my Janome 4800 because I can make it sew slowly... now she calls it "her" machine!

Last edited by SuzzyQ; 12-16-2018 at 07:07 PM.