Old 12-20-2018, 05:31 PM
Iona D.

Default Back To Basics: Janome Blue Couture For Quilting & Other Sewing Needs

I just purchased another sewing machine as a backup to other ones I have. I decided to stay with mechanical ones. I like the simplicity, dependability, longevity, and freedom from becoming too dependent on technology. When I opened the box and examined the new sewing machine, I found out that it had no Needle Threader or Thread Cutter features. Yet it still had other modern features such as Snap on/off Presser Feet, Inlay Recess Upper Threading, a Bobbin Winder Stopper, Free Arm with Accessories Box, and Sewing Light.
Very strange!

So what did I choose to do? While I suppose others might return this machine in a huff, I knew from I seem to prefer to do things a bit different from others. I am GLAD that this machine did not come with those extra bells & whistles that others in that price range (even below) offer. I don’t want to have only 1 machine to do vital (badly needed) features that I cannot really live without. I have rather poor vision due to age. So a Needle Threader is a real important feature that all sewing machines I use must have. Though not necessary have to be permanently built right in any particular individual sewing machine. So I still (and probably always will) stick to the “dime store” silver-ish loop style needle threader. It is still being used after more than a century by many both heavy and light quilter and sewing people. I quickly pull the thread through the needle without any problem as you can see by the photo below threading the new sewing machine. The new built in Needle Threaders? I don’t jell with them very well. So I will continue to scatter the dime store ones throughout my sewing space. Along with hem gauges, plain white chalk, plant misters, transparent “scotch” tape, freezer paper, and other oddball household things repurposed for quilting/sewing.

As for the new sewing machine, it's a real keeper. Being a Janome, the Straight & ZigZag stitches are perfectly balanced and even without any major adjustments by me right out of the box. It is now going to sew up a brand new quilt in a few days. It sews about 800 SPM-pretty good for a domestic home machine. It was tested on sewing up that blue curtain you can see in the background. I like to sew & quilt in front of the curtain as the sun's rays are filtered by it's semi sheerness. I know I will enjoy sewing the quilt in front of it during the day. I really look forward to doing this new quilt project very much now.

Are there other quilters share my "old style" beliefs & practices?

Attached Thumbnails blue-sewing-machine-final-version.jpg   dritz-needle-threader-final-resized.jpg  

Last edited by Iona D.; 12-20-2018 at 05:43 PM.