View Single Post
Old 12-24-2018, 05:58 PM
roguequilter

hello vanna ..welcome to the board.
years ago i made commissioned quilts for a few people. some hand quilted. my husband came up one day as i was working on hand quilting one. he said, based on the amount of time i had invested in the hand quilting, i was making about .05 cents per hour. i negotiated contracts with the client prior to starting the quilt with set rates for pattern design (i design my own), fabric prep, quilting - machine or hand etc. i kept track of time spent cutting, piecing etc. i had previously done commissioned knitting & crochet apparel & some people refused to pay the prearranged price. so, with quilts i used formal, signedl contract. i knew i wasn't going to make a living doing it ..but i sooooo love designing & creating quilts, and you can only use so mamy ..i have no family ..so making for others & getting paid seemed like a good idea. but i quit after few years because i had no time for myself. i think if you can manage an etsy shop, or find a local crafts retailer to sell for you ..that might be helpful. good luck with your quilting endeaver.