View Single Post
Old 12-28-2018, 10:28 AM
IrishNY

Originally Posted by coffeecozy View Post
My DH put together a great cutting table for me using two of the Expidit shelf units (I think they are called Kallix now)on their sides. They sit on a frame with casters and are topped with a wood block counter that I think was intended for use as an island. It could be made taller by putting a thicker base on it. It is very much like this https://www.ikeahackers.net/2012/12/...ing-table.html
I got a giant cutting mat that covers the top and I really like all of the storage cubbies underneath for keeping my rulers, cutting tools and scrap bin handy. I made a simple ironing pad that I use on the cutting table and I can lift it off when I want to.
This is exactly what I have. We bought a piece of laminate at Home Depot, had it cut to size and then put iron-on tape around the edge to finish the top. Since I'm not terrible tall, it's perfect for me. I keep a large cutting mat on one end and my cutting machine at the the other. I bought several sets of the Kallax drawer inserts to keep loose notions in underneath, and left the rest of the storage cubes open for other things. I absolutely love it.