View Single Post
Old 12-30-2018, 08:55 AM
oldmanquilts

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
It's not a 15-91 Battle-Axe, but it's a very interesting model 15 derivative. The -91 subnumber indicates the potted motor version, it has a direct drive gear, and doesn't have motor belt. Only Singers had this motor as far as I know, model 101, 201-2 and the later 15s. Yours seems to have an additional features where the top tensioner is on models like 66 and 201 (the black round thing that looks like a bulls eye) What is it for? The switch knob on the bed under the stitch length lever is typical of the Japanese 15 clones, sometimes theres' two push buttons. The original Singer 15s had a setting screw for lowering the feed dog under the base.
I realize this is an old post, but all the folks are still here, so an answer is appropriate. The "bullseye" looking knob is the light switch. This White is similar to my #1514, except for the stitch length lever. The problem is getting bulbs. It's a standard candelabra base but the diameter can't be any bigger than 5/8" at any point.

The White 1514 was my first vintage machine purchased about a year ago. I now have 12 nice "clones," all different brands except for 3 Whites.

Just so I qualify to post on this thread, I do have a 15-91 I got at Goodwill. It was hiding in the bottom of a cart and about to be put on the shelves. No case, no cabinet- just a foot pedal. Haven't cleaned it up or run it yet, but it's in really good shape. Price tag was $29.99. Born sometime in 1936.

I swore when I started my small collection that there would be no Singers. But the 15-91 found a way home with me. Then an old friend called and asked if I wanted her dad's "old sewing machine." For free- no less. I almost wet myself when I saw the box- really nice FW from '46. She had no idea.