View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 06:43 AM
profannie

Default Best method to make a Storm at sea

After thinking for a while about the quilt model I should make for my daughter room, I have finally settled for a Storm at sea. I've always found this model absolutely gorgeous, but when I saw the rainbow Tula Pink version of it here, I knew it was the one my daughter should have:

I'm also due for a little technical challenge, so I feel excited to set this kind of goal for myself in 2019. However, I would like to complete the quilt within a reasonable amount of time, so I'm looking for any advice to help me in the process.

1) Pro and cons of paper piecing for this model? (I've done one twin size paper piecing quilt and loved the precision of the result, but found the ripping of the paper extremely tedious)
2) Is there any special technique, ruler or tool to help with the cutting and assembly process (I have an Accuquilt studio cutter)? In the free pattern provided on Tula Pink blog, there are instructions to cut the pieces with fraction (like 2 3/8 inches) I'm definitely the kind of girl who will get better results if she construct an oversize block and then re-cut it
3) Anyone ever done this model with scraps? How did you manage the organization of the colors?

Thank you so much in advance for sharing your expertise!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-02-2019 at 07:44 AM. Reason: remove copyright pic