Thread: Sponge Cake
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 04:14 PM
charley26

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
She made it with the self rising flour that was brand new out of the store. Terribly heavy and tasteless. She wondered if there was a different kind of flour also called self rising in England.
It will be 'self raising' flour, I have not seen 'self rising' on a pack of flour here, and it is always good to use fresh flour, or well within the 'best before' date anyway. Your 'all purpose flour' can be used, but a raising agent will be needed.
I always sift the flour. It is also important to have everything at room temperature, so I always take the eggs and butter out of the fridge the night before, if I am baking cakes the next day. I like the butter to be quite soft - I can make am impression in it with a finger easily. I prefer to use butter when I am baking.

If making it the WI way, their instructions are best. It is really important to beat the butter and sugar really well, until the mixture is pale and fluffy; I generally beat the mixture for about 5 minutes; add the eggs one at a time while continuing to beat the mixture, and beat well after each egg until well mixed. A spoonful of flour can be added with each egg if wished - helps to stabilise the mixture. Then fold in the remaining flour with a large metal spoon, until all mixed in. Then put the mix evenly in the tins and bake.

The 'all in one' mix is easier, but still tastes good. Everything goes in together and whisked/beaten for about 2 minutes, put into tins and baked. An extra tsp of baking powder may be needed for the 'all in one' method, to help the cake rise and make up for the lack of air beaten in at the butter/sugar/egg stage of the WI method.

Your friend should continue, I am sure she will be successful.