View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 01:14 AM
RJLinkletter

Working a full time job with silly long hours that requires me to be very organised (think lots of lists!) I haven’t got the energy or inclination to be this organised about my sewing - and definitely don’t want lists I want it to be the complete opposite of my work life. I make sure I keep my area tidy by having lots of storage. I don’t have as much space as some of you so that helps. I share a small box room with my husband who uses half for his painting. In my half is my desk with machine. Cutting has to happen in the same spot as my machine (I just move it back when I need to cut) and I have a small ironing board and mini iron next to me.

It is a ‘proper’ desk so the drawers are filled with tools etc. After every single session they are returned to the right drawer and my desk is completely empty. I have a half height cupboard to the side filled with fabric - 2 boxes of fat quarters, a set of plastic drawers of scraps sorted by colour, a shelf of bigger stuff and 2 boxes of charm squares I have either bought or made myself with sizzix machine.

In a room down the hall I have an old single built in wardrobe that is my ‘craftrobe’. I have put in a cheap shoe rack shelving unit and on here is paper/card etc, my sizzix machine and dies, current project boxes (so all fabric and patterns for current big, ongoing projects goes in one of these) and then plastic boxes that have sections in for my buttons and embellishments sorted by colour. Hanging from the rail I have small plastic baskets. One is filled with what I call hardware (zips, bag bits, key rings etc). Another is filled with trims (ribbon, lace etc) and the third is my ‘odd bits’ basket.

above that is a shelf where I keep battings and interfaces.

It took me a day toSet up but by putting everything back after each session (5 mins tops) I am always organised so I dont even have to think about being organised if that makes sense? I avoid lists by keeping it all visual and quite small quantities compared to some of you who seem to have rooms as big as my local shop! Haha