View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 10:01 AM
Sailorwoman

Default Ruler work templates

I recently posted that my personal challenge for this year is to attempt ruler work quilting. I ordered my ruler foot for my Juki DX7 and when it arrived, the instructions said "To be used with 3 mm or less templates". 1/4 in = 6.35 mm so most ruler templates are a little more than twice as thick as my foot should use. I did a fair amount of research and found that "low shank sewing machines don't have enough clearance behind the foot and under the presser foot shaft for these thick rulers to be used behind the foot. But, behind the foot is an awkward place to use a ruler or template, so for most, the ruler or template would be placed in front of the foot. But some shapes wrap around the foot a bit and end up behind the foot. These rulers have a concave or interior shape. In this case, on a low shank machine, a thinner ruler is desirable." So my question to you very knowledgeable quilters is this: How often do you use your ruler behind the foot and have you come across rulers that do wrap around a bit? There are very few brands of 3 mm. rulers on the market and I really would prefer not to be that restricted as to what I can buy, but neither do I want to buy a ruler template only to find that I cannot use it. Any and all help will certainly be appreciated.