Old 01-06-2019, 02:20 PM
tjk829

Default Rookie...might be...definitely in over my head!

I recently came into possession of a vintage singer that is listed as a model 18 on the website database. I think that means it is a 66-18 but I'm not sure...sigh. It was completely seized and I started trying to clean it up and get it moving but I took the balance wheel off and when I tried to put it back on to move the needle it just spins and doesn't engage the drive and for the life of me I can't figure out why? Most of the pretty metal pieces cleaned up great but the needle plates were so corroded that they have bad pits and burrs on them even though the rust and dirt are gone.. what now? The paint and decals on the machine itself were in such bad shape that I decided to strip it and repaint it and replace the decals, ( I know that's controversial, but it would go to the scrap heap otherwise) even if I can't get it to work I plan to use it as a decorative piece in my sewing room but I would like to try to get it working any advice is much appreciated, since I already belly-flopped into the deep end of the pool..