View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 03:31 AM
mem

I’ve sewn and quilted in our 42’ fifth wheel since we sold our house and started full-timing several years ago. Have several full-timing friends who are also sewers and quilters. It is a challenge, and we all meet it in different ways.

Some of my friends have toy haulers and take over the “hauling room” as their sewing room. Others sew on their dining table, setting up and putting away their machine as necessary to use the table for actually dining. Some of us have sew-ezi tables...I would not give mine up for anything. My friend in a motor home sets hers up at the end of the dining table. We got rid of the sofa in our trailer and that’s my sewing space...sew-ezi table in middle with sterilite plastic drawer units on either side and a smaller one under the table. I use a small swivel chair; set up a large TV tray (wool mat on top) on my right as an ironing station. Most everyone likes the height of the kitchen counters for cutting, but I prefer the dining table.

I do not like sewing on the dining table..find it too high and awkward. In our previous trailer that had the usual full complement of living room furniture, I was able to scrunch my sewing table in behind one of the chairs.

The rv park where we stay for 6 months in the winter has a clubhouse with large tables which we use to cut and sandwich quilts. I don’t bother to take my machine up there, but several women do. I also belong to a quilt guild here that has sew days..many winter Texans also belong and they do their cutting and sandwiching there. We have one of those white folding tables with adjustable legs which I set up inside the trailer to cut, sandwich, etc., when we are in a place without a good, usable clubhouse. Many quilt shops have days when you can take your machine and sew in their classroom space or use their tables for cutting.

It sounds like you are full-timing. Do you stay in one place for several weeks or months at a time? What size/type rv do you have? If you want to share more specifics either here or in a pm, I’ll be glad to continue talking with you about this; friends who are in a unit similar to yours will also have suggestions, I know.

Margaret