View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 02:54 PM
bkay

Sometimes, there is a demo on youtube.com for sewing machines. It's common that sellers on Ebay make a video of the machine that they have for sale. So, I'd look there. Just go to youtube.com and put White 1717 sewing machine in the search box.

I've bought fabric at estate sales, thrift stores, Walmart, Quilt stores and online stores. I agree with Cari, though. Don't look to build a stash. I ran into a huge estate sale right after I started quilting. I was still working then, so bought a bunch of fabric there for about $75.00. Three years or so later, I still have most all of it. I've donated some, but used very little of it for my quilts.

My suggestion is to find a pattern that you like for your grandchild. You can look for something you like on Google images. I usually search for something like "baby quilt pattern". I usually add -pinterest as I don't care for pinterest. Look for something simple. By that, I mean, not too many little pieces, no curved pieces and no triangles. Or, you can get a quilt book from the local library. Also, quilting magazines have patterns in them. The pattern will tell you how much fabric you will need, how to cut the pieces and then how to assemble the quilt.

The first quilt I made was a "disappearing 9 patch". It was fairly easy and I was pleased. The ladies on the quilting forum at Houzz were spectacular for help. It's a much smaller group and they love to help. The ladies, my local quit shop and youtube got me through the first quilt. Anything you want to know about quilting is on youtube. From cutting your pieces to squaring up your quilt - it's there.

Good luck.

bkay