View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 09:13 PM
quiltingshorttimer

I love to long arm--spent 6.5 hrs today working on a shop sample quilt. I had rented time on one at a shop not too far away and done a couple of quilts and fell in love with the process but the price was beyond what I could justify. when my Mom and I'd go to shows she'd sit and chat with the vendor while I played on their machines. When she passed and left me an inheritance, my DH said to buy something for myself for a change that my Mom would think was cool. Took me 10 seconds to say "I'm buying a long arm!". I bought a used 2006 Gammill Classic Plus on 14' frame. It's hand guided but does have a stitch regulator.

What I like--it's dependable, the frame is super sturdy, it's easy for me to work on and the tech support, both on the phone and in person is good. Plus they are getting more and more videos on their website showing how to do maintenance--I really appreciate that. They also are on the Gammill users FB site and volunteer ideas on repairs too. I like that it uses an M bobbin (large), where the on/off buttons are (I had an experience with another brand at a show that I had to walk to the back to turn on/off even though I'm 5'7"!). I like that I can use a drafting stool when I'm doing lots of ruler work. I especially love that on a long arm you don't have to do any basting, adhesive, etc you just put it on the frame and start quilting!
What I'd like to change: wish I had hydraulics if I had another $1500! The newer Gammills have a better basting stitch which would be handly and the back handles are offset so easier to do pantos (Which I rarely do anyway) without hurting my neck. Also the newer ones have a coast speed which makes for a smoother Stitch regulator. All that said--I love my machine!