View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 05:11 AM
QuiltinCats

We sold our house and I have been full-timing and quilting in 2 different motorhomes for over 9 years. The hardest part for me was finding time to quilt in-between traveling, touring areas, and family. Hubby was so excited to be retired that he could not sit still! After growling a few times that I needed my 'quilt' time, we have a tentative schedule that works well for both of us.

Storage was a problem until I downsized my fabric and our daughter gave me a corner to stack rubbermaid tubs packed with the fabric that I could not give up. I have gone through most of it.

Looking at storage options online and in stores for small apartments gave me some great ideas such as the roll-up iron mats from Bed, Bath and Beyond; using space bags to store more fabrics in small spaces, and hooks inside closets to hang tools.

I have a large Brothers sewing machine which is not easy to move. I have used our dining table and a folding table outside. Picnic tables are never the right height for me so I never used one. Last year, we bought a newer motorhome with a built-in desk in the bedroom, but it is tall. Now, I sew standing up. I find it quite convenient in our small space and keeps me moving. I use the bed to setup blocks and the kitchen counter has the iron mat and cutting board, so lots of walking back and forth.

I use our bed to lay out quilt blocks or to cut large pieces of fabric and batting. I just make extra sure the bedspread isn't in the scissors when I start cutting. I also use the campground community centers when they have the large tables. Also, checkout the campground's community calendar. There are many RV quilters on the road now and they often have a couple of hours a week for a quilt gathering. Someone else mentioned Facebook's group RV Quilters. They are an inspiring group with quilting events that you can attend and they are always willing to help you solve your problems.

Happy Quilting and Happy Trails!