Old 01-11-2019, 06:29 AM
Macybaby

what I have found- batiks are made from finer thread, so often have less bulk in seam allowance and fold over with sharper folds. Use 60wt thread, and very small stiches. When you end up with a seam that is only 1/2" long, you want a lot of stitches or it can pull out.

cut larger, sew and trim when possible. THen you are not dealing with super small peices to start with (like when making a HST that is UF at 1")

paper peiceing works really well for very small peices. I've downsized the Carol Doak blocks from 12" to 3", but I did find that I needed to select those that did not have more than 8 points coming together. I still hand tacked the points before sewing. Sometimes hand sewing is the only way you can get everything to line up.

Grade your seams, trim one at about 1/8" and the other 3/16", this will give you less bulk in the seams, and you'll find you are sewing over seams often. Watch how you press so you can overlap seams and not be pressing them back the other way (this is overlap the long way, not crosswise).

I've found online a person that does a lot of log cabin type blocks in miniature, done PP. On some, the visible part of each "log" is about 1/8th of an inch.

these stars finished at 3". When I put them together, I cut them bigger so I didn't need to match points. Each star is made of of 8 paper pieced sections.