View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 01:48 PM
Teen

No, I did not hand sew any of my blocks. The double drunkards path is challenging but I did machine piece those. It was easiest when I pinned the curve. I did not attempt to lay them flat but let the fabric natural curl as I sewed. I sewed the inner band to the large piece first..Then sewed it to the smaller piece. You could, however, use glue to fit the pieces together then machine sew. You could also hand baste the pieces and then machine sew. Or, you could replace the block with something else. I took a class thru Craftsy on curved piecing. Great class.

Some of Kingwell patterns are designed for hand sewing. There are 3 flower blocks in Section 3, for instance. Those were clearly designed for hand sewing. The whole thing is pieced. Ugh! I altered the block by appliquing the flower and stems on one solid background. Some of the pieced blocks in pattern I ended up appliquing.

I used one background block and applique'd the clamshells. For the hexi's, I just machine sewed them together on a very thin piece of fabric because I did trapunto and didn't want any of the batting to come thru. I did not do the standard EPP with the Hexi's.

It's your quilt so go for what appeals to you to do.

Last edited by Teen; 01-12-2019 at 02:05 PM.