View Single Post
Old 01-13-2019, 10:49 AM
Km5bq

Default Semper Designer mystery machine

Greetings, all!! I'm really quite the noob, but with a sense of humor, so feel free to pick away. On a trip to the antique shop yesterday looking for machines with which to tinker, I came upon a nondescript black and grey box on the floor. Opening it revealed the mystery at hand. I'm sorry, I can't seem to get a photo to upload, but it calls itself Semper Designer. I'll describe it best I can. It is green. Olive green. Very Olive green. The pedestal and arm are squarish, reminding me of perhaps late fifties or sixties. The head cover is polished chrome, I'd say shaped like a singer 15. It has a big, blocky, bright chrome stitch width and position control assembly on the arm. A veritcal stitch regulator is on the pedestal. It has a knob on the base to retract the dogs. The handwheel is chrome-rimmed, with a bobbin winder mounted so as to remind me of a singer 127. It has a motor
mounted with a bracket on a boss below the handwheel on the pedestal. The only data plate is on the motor. It is English and says Necchi type 211. There are no other data plates to be found. On top of the arm is a decal "Semper designer". It looks to have been overcoated with a yellowish sealer of some sort. The machine is as heavy as it is green, 47pounds! It runs more smoothly and quietly than any I've seen before, and for twenty dollars, how could I not? I have searched every which way I can think of, and I cannot find a shred of information on this pretty thing. Anybody ever even heard of it? I would dearly love to know more about it.

Sorry for the terrible verbosity. Thanks for reading!!