View Single Post
Old 01-13-2019, 01:14 PM
Janice McC

Default F8s

PamelaOry, first of all, try airing out those pieces with the heavy scent. It'll do wonders. Definitely don't re-wash them at this point.

Next, cutting. F8s for the purposes of this swap are 10x18 at a minimum. I would prefer if it's possible to get 11 inches by 18 but once the fabric is washed, shrunk and selvages removed, it's virtually impossible to get 8 full f8s from a yard. You may be only able to cut 3 full F8s across with a fourth one that's smaller. That's the one I keep and use for the blocks I almost always make for myself. Basically, however you can cut the the f8s to get a minimum of 10x18, do it. 10 1/2 is ok, just make sure please that it is not under 10 inches. And, don't forget that you will need a couple of extra inches per yard in order to get that 18 inch length due to shrinkage. Before you cut, make sure you've actually got enough! Hope that helps and doesn't add confusion.
Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
I wanted to cut my fat 1/8ths oversized to give people as much wiggle room as possible. In the process I discovered it was easy to add to 18” making them 18 1/2 or even 19” long but had much more trouble figuring out how to get them wider than 10”. Once I cut the selvage off, most of mine ended up at 10, 10 1/4, or at very best, 10 1/2”.

Is is there another way to cut fat 1/8ths that allows for wider cuts?

also, I have a confession to make. When I first started cutting them over a week ago, I accidentally grabbed the wrong spray bottle and part of my fabric got sprayed with best press peaches and cream. I forgot about it and didn’t realize it until I was almost done and was doing one last press on my fat 1/8ths and I smelled it. It was very faint but there. I’m afraid of ruining the fat 1/8ths by rewashing all of them, and again, it was really faint. However, if anyone has a known migraine issue with best press fragrances, I will go buy more of the fabric and bag it up special. I have migraines so know how easily they can be set off if something is a trigger. Please pm me if you need an absolutely fragrance free fat 1/8th and I will create one with your name on it.

pam