View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 10:52 AM
dunster
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Stummel
Originally Posted by dunster
If they let you make a copy, and the next borrower makes a copy, and so on, then there are lots of copies out there. The copy has a longer "life" - more time for you to use it - than the original loan of the book. On the other hand, while you actually have the book checked out, you have temporary "ownership" of that book and are allowed to make the patterns in it.
The thing that confuses me in this case is that to me it doesn't really matter whether someone makes a copy of a pattern for personal use only or uses the actual book. If you take a book home and use it to make the quilt, and then another person takes it home and makes the quilt, and then another, there will still possibly be ten or fifty quilts of that particular pattern resulting form only one book, and the pattern itself isn't really worth anything without it's use, if you know what I mean.

ETA: I wasn't offended or took your opinion personal, just meant to say I didn't intend to "steal" someone's pattern if there were copies of just that pattern for sale somewhere.
To me the difference is in "borrowing" vs. "keeping" the book.