Thread: metallic fabric
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 09:01 AM
Iceblossom

I've seen but I haven't used the latest round of very metallic prints, where most of the fabric is metallic looking. I have, however, used metallic fabrics in my quilts for decades.

I have no problems with putting in metallic embellished fabrics in my scrap quilts. Every person though has their own standards, so some don't want any metallics just like others don't want homespuns, but they are both welcome in my process. They hold up well, aren't noticeably a different texture and basically I have no problems with them.

I haven't quilted it down yet but recently I made a baby quilt with a small amount of metallic interest in it. After quite some hemming and hawing, I finally decided to quilt it down with a non-scratchy metallic thread (the early metallic threads used to be dreadful). It did well in my testing, but I don't know how well it will hold up to lots of washing, so maybe I'll declare it a small couch throw instead. I'm almost done quilting my current top -- the metallic one is next. Unfortunately, I'm not really happy with the batting I chose, I think it is too thick but I've already spray-basted the top so I'm going with what I got.

PS: I just found out yesterday I'm going to be a grandma for the first and probably only time! Yay me and yay baby quilts and especially yay grandbabies