View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 05:54 AM
quilterpurpledog

I have done this. I have a friend who does spectacular needlepoint and cross stitch pieces. She doesn't sew and asked me to finish them into decorator items. I made a wall hanging with one of them and this is what I did: 1) carefully stem block the item so that it was absolutely square. I used foam core board and pins to do the blocking. 2) stitched carefully around the outer part of the design using a piece of premium quality cotton that best matched most of the design leaving border space outside. In other words, the dimension of the cotton was the dimensions of the design plus the width of the desired border all the way around plus a couple of inches working space. It would be trimmed as necessary when the binding was put on. 3) cut and attach borders by placing fabric (right sides together) on needle point picture. Do sides first, then top and bottom. Stitch along the same line that you stitched on at the edge of the needle work. If possible look at some videos for mitering the corners as that is a much pleasing look than butted ends. 4) layer your quilt sandwich; the backing with the good side down, the batting, and the quilt top. This is probably a good place for spray baste to secure the layers. 5) Quilt around some of the floral motifs to hold them firm. Use matching thread so it doesn't show more than you desire. Quilt your chosen design in the border area to frame your picture. 6) I would recommend binding with the same fabric as the border so it is unobtrusive. 7) add a hanging sleeve-you can find lots of instructions for that on You-tube or this board. When you choose your border fabric choose something that has a muted look so that matching lines or designs is not an issue. Good luck! You can do this.