Old 01-23-2019, 07:15 AM
Iceblossom

I finally found the right zip drive! Attached is my rough draft/doodling of the design I came up with. I'll only be doing the swooping tiny heart design, not the stitching around the hexes. Looks like the picture of the quilt came through and you have to click on the little thing that says "staples scan" for the quilting design. I am not particularly gifted with either my ability to machine quilt (and no hand quilting for me) or my design sense. I'm a piecer and I really need a quilting partner! Anyway, this is within my ability and goes through each hex.

This summer I found a lovely hand stitched GMF at a thrift store with tiny little hexes, each side finishes to 3/4", so the hex is maybe 1.25-ish across. There were some issues with the top -- it is huge and I think maybe the maker just despaired of finishing it. One row was one block too short, couple of minor stitching repairs. Took off the row, did the repairs bought a back and planned the quilting... lol don't know exactly when I will get to the quilting. I was planning on doing it with warm and natural type batting and on a long arm, but I might not have access to the long arm (belongs to a friend).

To prepare the top for the long arm I was going to carefully sew on the top outer hexes onto a backing fabric, those aqua path rows outer hexes won't be quilted with the design, then cut away the back where it would be quilted. The path rows will basically outline the flower going from point to point. Edit: I do like the idea of using a solid piece of white between the top and the batting and that would help load it as well! Always get good ideas from this board.

When I bind the quilt I'll be using white bias binding and I am going to keep the larger block scallop, but cut off the tiny points into the binding. The outer edges are all the aqua pathways and it will be essentially the same as the quilting design, just missing those tiny little points. I'm still not looking forward on learning how to turn the binding, but I'll figure it out!

I found this free site to print a grid the size I wanted:
https://incompetech.com/graphpaper/hexagonal/
Attached Thumbnails 100_4035.jpg  
Attached Files

Last edited by Iceblossom; 01-23-2019 at 07:29 AM.