View Single Post
Old 01-24-2019, 02:39 PM
Dougstermd

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
Tangle? Something needs sorting out. It should stitch trouble free in all stitch length settings, the only thing you need to be careful of is limiting amount of stitches at zero. I would take a second look at each link from the stitch length lever to the feed dog mechanism. If one is sluggish or frozen the machine will run and stitch but it can interfere with stitch length and feed. The next thing to check would be threading and make sure there's a good match of needle size and thread weight to the fabric. Don't forget to work on getting the tension right on both bobbin case and upper tension mechanism. Double check the bobbin case too, new repacement parts are known to be of varying quality. A good 15 case should be relatively easy too find. A 15-91 tends to be a keeper for many because of the potted motor and CB hook and race, there are a few old straight stitchers well worth a second look though.
mickey again you are probably spot on. I will re-examine and oil those links. This machine was quite sluggish all over when I got it. Makes perfect sense now if the feed dogs are sluggish compared to needle movement it’s going to make a knot instead of a stitch. I really brand new to these vintage machines. I’m also still much beginner at actually sewing even though I sewed my first stitches I probably 1979 I never really took a big interest in sewing...