View Single Post
Old 01-25-2019, 07:16 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by debstoehr View Post
Great job on your quilt. I have a question for you and am not trying to be critical. It looks as if you only quilted the horizontal rows of the quilt and not inside each row. Is this correct? If so, I would be concerned that the batting will ball up and shift without some additional vertical quilting. I would hate for you to have to rip out and replace all of your batting. I had to do this for someone at church that had only done very minimal quilting.
I agree. This definitely needs more quilting in order for the batting to hold together. If your batting requirements say minimum 10", (which I would always quilt more than that anyways) that means 10" minimum distance in all directions. The only time I ignore that is if I have a narrow inner border (like 1" or less) that spans the entire length. I have simply ditched both sides of the border and left it at that. But even in those cases I would probably opt for a fill of some sort.

Additionally, those long runs of unquilted area is going to put a lot of stress on the pieced seams and they are very prone to popping open. Especially when the quilt is washed and the weight of the top, batting and backing is pulling on them.