Old 01-25-2019, 10:16 PM
Kwiltr

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I do a machine blanket stitch around appliqués done with wonderunder. I feel the wonderunder does help to prevent some of the edges from fraying but they do still fray from repeated washing. I have not had any appliqués come off from fraying.
If you want to use an Elmer’s glue stick to temporarily hold down an appliqué, I would recommend machine sewing a straight stitch inside the appliqué edge at about 1/8 inch. The edges past the 1/8 would fray but the straight stitching should hold the appliqué on with repeated washings.
Okay. That’s kind of what I suspected. When I used it on my Christmas project, I did do a blanket stitch around everything and on this current project I was planning on doing a straight stitch by machine close to the appliqué edges. In searching the forum for this topic, I came upon the “windowing” suggestion, which made me think to question the expectation of the fusible's purpose. A) to stop fraying or B) to adhere the appliqué ? I realize there are different fusible products depending on the application, I.e. a quilt for use or a wall hanging or other item. Something to be washed often or not at all. However, I guess I was under the impression all the fusibles were more or less permanent. But when I saw an item after being washed several times, that was indeed stitched around the edges, the appliqué was unevenly still fused in some places not others. I didn’t like the look of it. So my conclusion is, that if I use a fusible such as heat n Bond lite or Pellon 805 (wonderunder)or similar products, there isn’t much point in using fusible for anything but the edges of the appliqué to perhaps help with fraying, and I’ll be sure to quilt the body of them down so I don’t get a baggy look, if you know what I mean. I don’t want the stiffness of a heavier fusible as this quilt is intended for a child's quilt. I know ELmers glue isn’t going to stop fraying and it certainly isn’t permanent, but if the need of the fusible was merely to hold the appliqué in place just while stitching, rather than impact the fabric fraying, then why bother with fusible at all?

Thanks everyone one for helping me sort this out in my head .

As as for the fusible powder, I think I’d find it difficult to keep it only where you want it when shaking it out and more so if a small area. I also question the application of it on batting rather than fabric, as with batting being textured, I suspect you would use more because it would fall into the fibers and be less effective, not to mention being able to see white powder sprinkled on white batting. But, I haven’t tried it or anything like it, this is just what crossed my mind after watching the demonstration.