Old 01-27-2019, 03:45 AM
marietta

A cousin gave me a quilt our Grandmother gave her when she was 3 or 4, about 53 years ago, and asked what I could do with it. We both can remember us and our other cousins standing in chairs around a drop down frame with our mothers and aunts and Gram going around teaching us little ones to thread the needle and stitch to quilt this quilt. Not alot I could do to restore it, the batting was all wadded up, the backing and a good portion of the border was already tattered, etc. It was a fan quilt, made with all kinds of material, cottons, feed sack, flour sack, wool, etc. 10 years ago I took a section out and framed it for her daughter when she graduated from HS. Recently took it out again and took it all apart, saved what I could and made a new fan quilt for hopefully the grandchildren she will have someday. I hand stitched the fans on the blocks and plan on sandwiching it and on my next visit getting her and her daughter and other family members together to have a quilting bee.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]607469[/ATTACH]This one of the fans, the material sure has faded over time, lol. Don't know if you can see it but the tiny hand stitched quilting.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]607470[/ATTACH]This is what I came up with, needs a border, Work in progress as always. lol
Wish you all the best with yours, Such a wonderful piece of history but especially the memories and a blessed treasure to pass along.
Attached Thumbnails 20180622_142703.jpg   zzzz.jpg