Thread: quilt storage
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2019, 09:09 AM
travelightly

Default quilt storage

Hi all: I am new here, but have been searching and searching for accurate information on how to store my grandmother's quilts. I have several of them ( about a dozen ) and they have been stored over the years in cardboard boxes and plastic bins...cringe. Some of them date back to the late 1800s and I Really want to do right by them. Honestly, eventually they will all go to a museum or get sold, as my family has no interest in them, other than to look at them (when I insist) every 10 years or so. There is no point in keeping them as they don't fit any of our beds and although they're pretty, they are not of a style that any of the family would like. So, long story a little less long, I have been scouring the internet to find the safe way to store quilts and I find a lot of conflicting info. At this point, I am thinking that wrapping in unbuffered tissue paper, 100% white cotton sheeting/muslin and storing in polyethylene bins should be OK as long as I open them up every once in a while to let them breathe. OR, I could poke holes in the bins. OR, am I on the wrong track entirely? I don't want to spend a fortune on this, as these quilts will probably have to be out of my possession in the next year or so. Any advice would be so much appreciated. This has been bothering me for a long time.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-27-2019 at 09:18 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps