View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 03:13 AM
clb7122

Default My Jelly Roll Rug

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I was given the jellyroll rug pattern and two rolls of the specialty cut batting strips for Christmas. I would like to make a rug and find out any tips for advice. I have heard the frightening stories of the rugs not laying flat and curling up. I did a quick search here on the QB but all the threads appeared blanked out.

I plan on just cutting my own stash fabric strips instead of using a precut jellyroll. I'm going to try my best to cut straight of the grain of course, but if the strips aren't 100% straight, does that make a difference?

Thanks for any tips, friends!
I made mine cutting my own fabric strips and using the purchased batting. I did not have a flat surface around my machine, so I place all my thread boxes around so the rug could lay flat as I stitched. I did not use my walking foot, although I could have. I just let the machine do the stitching without pulling or pushing on the rug. I just lightly held it as it stitched.

I used a strip cutting ruler and it worked just fine. It is a rather forgiving project as to not necessarily having perfect strips. I also used a bag to put my very long rope in instead of trying to roll it into a ball. Just find what is comfortable for you.

It turned out so nice, I decided not to put it on the floor and it sits on the middle of my dinning room table. It was fun to make and I plan on making more. Have fun.
Attached Thumbnails jrr02.jpg