Old 01-29-2019, 06:53 PM
cathyvv

I usually don't look for too much in a machine I use for piecing. I have Brother machines, usually from Walmart. I like the computerized, but that's probably because I have a computer system background and that stuff appeals to me.

I have two Brother mechanical machines, no bells and whistles. One is for travel. The other is living in my home in NJ and used when I am there. They work fine for what I do.

One of my computerized machines is in my dining/sewing room. It is quieter than the mechanical, so less disruption to my DH when he is watching TV. It has a number of stitches which I rarely use BECAUSE I can't keep steady pressure on the pedal due to inherited neuropathy. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!) As a result, the decorative stitches sew out inconsistently. I do seem to be able to keep steady pressure long enough to work on a place mat. I need a machine with speed control, but am not buying another machine for that.

The other is in the garage, and keeps my LA company. I do use it, but not nearly as much as I thought I would. It has a slightly larger throat than the one in my dining room, which is why I bought it. I think I even used that extra space once!

If one of the computerized machines fails and can't be brought back to life, I will get another Brother, computerized, with stitches AND a thread cutter. I used one with a thread cutter for awhile, and fell in love with that feature. It saves so much bobbin thread, and I do hate to change the bobbin. It also had a needle threader, but it never worked for me.