Old 02-06-2019, 05:43 PM
StephanieR

Originally Posted by TheMerkleFamily View Post
Hi Stephanie - I've been quilting for close to two years now and have documented info about all the quilts I've made. I take pics along the way, keep track of patterns used, fabric used and yardage, batting, threads, needle type, techniques, final quilt size, type of binding and anything else I think is pertinent. Example: I've cut and pieced fabric differently (than the pattern called for) to save fabric waste or enlarged a pattern and made note of that for next time. I print and keep pics in a binder with all of the other typed notes stored on my computer. I've already referred to the info on several occasions when planning another quilt. And it sure is fun to flip through the binder to see what I've made since almost all of it has been given to family and friends.

I highly recommend keeping track of what you've done and organizing pictures at least - it's rewarding to re-visit the pics and very helpful (for me) to look back at my notes.

Good luck with whatever way you decide works for you!
You brought up a lot of info I hadn't even thought to record and I'm glad you did because I want this to be a learning tool. Up til now, the few things I've made have been gifts so I don't have any way to look back and see what worked or what didn't. My memory is Swiss cheese so this might the only way to learn from my own failures and successes. It may be that I won't do it forever but it may work as training wheels until I feel more confident.

Thank you all for your replies. As always, you give me good food for thought. I'm taking notes because if I'm going to do this, I probably should get started soon while I only have a few things under my belt.