View Single Post
Old 02-16-2019, 06:16 AM
Scraplady

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
I always get a kick out of decisions of what size to keep and what to throw out. I go back to a memory of someone who had saved a ball of string, little pieces tied together, labeled: String: too short to save.
Oh, this made me laugh and cry at the same time. Too short to save, but saved it anyway. We found stuff like this when we went through my mother's stash after she passed. One bag was literally labelled: "Pieces of elastic too short to use". Why she didn't throw them out, I don't know. At least she hadn't sewn them all together in one long piece!

Anything too big for me to cut into strips and squares (someone said about the size of a fat 8th) I fold to the same size as my FQs and put them back into the clear shoe boxes I keep my FQs in. They are always so thin when folded that I can easily tell they are only very small pieces.

Smaller than that and they go into an open basket I keep near my cutting board. The basket is about 10 X 10 and when it's full, I Try to make time to stop and cut the scraps into 2 1/2" squares. Anything smaller goes into crumb baskets sorted by color. (So far I've only made one crumb quilt, but it was such fun I know I will make more.)

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-17-2019 at 05:15 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps