Thread: Dresden quilt
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2019, 06:13 PM
Teen

Originally Posted by Jaiade View Post
Teen, nice save on the scraps.
I have been working on some UFO's and was working on an old(2003) BOM from a LQS and was stomped after I connected the blocks with an Irish chain block and the size was still small (for me) and I couldn't figure out anything else to do to make it larger so back to the UFO pile it went. Then you posted this cute dresden plate(I also have some plates from back in the early 2000's that need to be finished)sigh! I decided to use your idea to add another border by adding the half chain blocks. Thank you, Teen, you have moved my plan to finish some UFO's before I start another project, along. Now my problem is the blocks are 12 inches and that gives me a large area of white fabric going around each corner, ( the colors are what I call neutrals, white, beige, tan, etc.) so I am trying to think of some way to add a cornerstone to each corner so there isn't so much white on the outer edge.
Again, thanks, this might make it to the 'tops' pile this week!
Glad I could inspire you, Jan!! Not sure what your BOM pattern blocks are but one option would be to just do a 1/4 Dresden plate (like a fan) with the points pointing to the edges of quilt. That would eat up the neutral space and give the corners of quilt a rounded shape. Maybe use a contrasting color value of fabrics from the Irish chain so it doesn't bleed into it but still blends and makes a bit more cohesive. Another idea is doing a grandmothers fan block using a neutral in the corner to separate it from the Irish chain squares that sit on the edge, Just thinking out loud. Would love to see it when finished!

Last edited by Teen; 02-16-2019 at 06:18 PM.