View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 07:08 AM
Iceblossom

Came to a realization last night about my Flying Squares project. Yesterday I did cut all my background off-whites for the outer edges of the blocks. I did indeed use up some little bits. I've been toying with the idea of piecing the border 3 rows deep of the 2.5" (cut) squares but didn't want to have to cut more strips. I pulled out my excess bags of Y2K trading squares to use. And then the thought came to me, that I since I never did anything with my Y2K squares I received but put them in a bag, I should have enough to do this project. Although I've been math challenged lately it looks like I will indeed have plenty with a few left over, I believe I have just under 1k squares. I mostly just participated in swaps with my friends and didn't get them all. But after almost 20 years, those little bits are finally going to be used.

So the "Flying Squares" project has now been officially renamed "Not Quite Y2K" and I am rather enthused about it now.

I'll still have left over 2.5 strips and the partial units I already sewed. But I think I will be ready to offer those and the remaining squares to some of you who like that sort of thing since I have determined that mostly I don't want to keep pieces smaller than 6.5".

PS: For those of you not swapping fabrics 20 years ago, the goal of a Y2K quilt was to have 2000 different pieces of fabric. Usual size for swaps was 2.5" squares, typically 20-25 per package all unique. That fit well in a snack sized baggie and then into a business sized envelope. Some swaps wanted signature blocks. People did all sorts of amazing things -- me, I hoarded