View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 12:33 PM
Friday1961

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
Letting it "cook" is really important for me. If numbering and replacing everything is overwhelming, maybe you could pin the blocks to your bed cover and gently roll it up for the night and use something else to sleep under. It just needs to cook until you're happy with it. Maybe don't even look at it for a week or two. It will seem much less complicated after awhile, and you'll be able to look at it more objectively. It will be a wonderful quilt no matter how you arrange those blocks - really!
I've already laid it out again.....on the bed! It's not that much trouble to do. And I've rearranged....and rearranged....and rearranged again. I have the purple strip more or less distributed, as well as the red and white, and I've walked away from it for awhile. I'll go back and see what jumps out at me -- if something does, it probably needs to be moved.....again. I remember reading, years ago, a tip on women's fashion. It said get dressed, with everything you planned to wear, including accessories. Leave the room briefly or look away, then look at yourself in a full length mirror -- this assumes that all women had one! -- and the first thing you see -- the thing that jumps out at you -- remove. That meant, of course, an accessory, not your skirt or pants or top!

And that's how I'll approach this, which, in fact, someone here suggested. If it "jumps out at you" it may be wrong or in the wrong place or too much. I'm probably never going to be completely happy with the inner triangles -- the hourglass -- but there's no help for that. They are not all the same size and I'm not going to rip and re-sew anything at this stage. Also, I note that some other string quilts also have that issue, so my attitude will be: if they can do it, so can I!

This has been a fun discussion. It's great for me to learn how others work and what bugs them and how they solve it. String quilts may not be for me......or at least the next one will be more "planned" -- which probably defeats the purpose, but, oh well. LOL.

Thanks again to everyone who commented! And for the compliments. This was just an effort to use up scraps and get back to quilt making and sewing in general, which I'd not done much of since last spring, though I did make pillowcases and little cosmetic bags, and rice filled heating pads as Christmas gifts.

Last edited by Friday1961; 02-18-2019 at 12:38 PM.