View Single Post
Old 02-22-2019, 07:37 AM
Garden Gnome

ptquilts, I think folks have learned some things about going Keto since Atkins came out. One is that you really really need to supplement your minerals-magnesium, sodium and potassium. Somehow your body needs a lot more sodium if you are not eating carbs. It has to do with no longer holding onto water in your fat cells, I think.
And you can have a period of adjustment when your body is switching over to be a fat burning machine rather than a sugar burning machine. It is called Keto Flu, and you can have a lot of symptoms. For me it took about 2 months to get my energy back.
I haven't found the Keto lifestyle to help me lose the weight I wanted to lose, but I only wanted to lose about 10 lbs. I have learned in the past year that if there isn't a lot to lose, and if you don't have an insulin issue, Keto may not be of a lot of help in weight loss. But if you are obese, and especially if you are pre-diabetic or already dx'ed with type 2 diabetes, you really can change your life for the better with Keto eating.
I think, once your body has become "fat-adapted"(learns to use fat for fuel) it makes sense at this time to cut back on the amount of fat you eat. If you are already eating enough fat to fuel you through the day, it may use the food you eat, rather than the fat on your thighs to get energy. (My theory, any way)
At some point, one is supposed to lose their ravenous appetite, and be able to go all day without eating. That has never happened to me. Fasting can go hand in hand with Keto, as you lose your need to snack. Some people swear by fasting on a regular basis.
I also recommend the ketogenic forums for help, inspiration and information. But please, like any forum, get on there and do some research before you start asking basic questions. You will probably find most of your questions answered.
Why am I still eating Keto if I haven't lost all the weight I wanted? Because my stomach feels 99% better and I don't get cranky without a snack. My inflammation from an autoimmune disease has decreased, and my hair is becoming less gray. How about that?