View Single Post
Old 02-22-2019, 07:38 PM
Garden Gnome

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
Sounds like to me one would have to give up carbs for life. I think a well balanced diet with smaller portions is the answer. To each his own.
Actually, to keep the weight off, you do pretty much have to give up carbs for life. What does that mean? Essentially, no bread, no potatoes, no pasta, no sugar.
So when I grab a burger from a fast food restaurant, I remove the bun. Eating inside, I ask for a knife and fork, and eat my little "steak" with all the trimmings. When we have spaghetti at home, I cook and mash some cauliflower. It's very good and a great sub for pasta or mashed potatoes.
Pizza? I scrape the toppings off and eat them, and leave the crust.
You learn to make do, substitute, eat more of some things, less of others. I had suspected that flour didn't agree with me long ago, and I think doing without it has confirmed this.
Lots of people freak out thinking about holiday baking and not being able to eat all the holiday food. I got to the point that I didn't bake cookies anyway, so that is no big change. This year we had people installing new floors over Thanksgiving, so I got out of cooking. Was saved this year, but next year I'll have to be creative. It is a challenge, but totally worth it if it makes you feel better.