View Single Post
Old 02-23-2019, 02:36 PM
lorrwill

Thumbs up Inspired me to make one

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com View Post
My grandfather made this quilt frame for my grandmother years ago. He died in 1972, so it's at least 40 years old. I don't remember seeing my grandmother use it, but my mom used it quite a bit. I just thought since everyone is showing their vintage machines, you'd be interested in seeing my quilt frame.
Thank you for sharing this! After I started Googling, I was surprised to find a few others. I studied your photos and all the other photos and brief descriptions I could find, created a design, and bought lumber to copy this. It really is ingenious. I just need to weather to warm up just a bit so I can get out on the balcony to cut the notches and do the sanding.

I suspect the 4 notches are for 4 rails, one each for the top, batting, and back and the fourth for the uptake as you complete a section. As mentioned and I agree that without help, it would be a pain to advance worked sections. My remedy will be to use the "tabletop basting method" with three rails, and then just two rails on this stand to do the actual quilting, like you show in your picture.

Again, thank you very much for this inspiration! I had never seen a stand like this before it is perfect for small spaces.