View Single Post
Old 02-26-2019, 06:05 PM
Quiltah Mama

Originally Posted by Sharon D View Post
Hi, not to hijack this thread, but I have the same issue. My mother died a while ago and was a quilter. We have several (7 or 8) large plastic totes of quality quilting fabric (some with the tags still on) that she bought at a local fabric shop (she would never have shopped at a JoAnn's or a chain store like that). I took what I wanted, but need to sell the rest. The idea of measuring out all of that seems overwhelming. Should I sort it by color? By theme (baby, animal, nature...) How should I price it? I sorted the scrappy bits (anything under a yard) and gave those away for free. Any help would be appreciated. And if anyone's curious, I'm in western Massachusetts. Any guidelines would be helpful.
I had an opportunity a few years ago, I bought a sewing machine off Craigslist (my first Janome actually) and while talkiing with the woman, she shared with me, she had a storage unit full of the rest of the sewing stuff. It was her mom's sewing machine on Craigslist. I offered to buy the whole unit, sight unseen. The deal worked out and my quilting neighbor and I split the cost and sorted everything, taking what we wanted, donating what we didn't want to a worthy cause. The family was thrilled to sell it as one unit, no hassle of a yard sale, Craigslist or even sorting or measuring. And my neighbor and I were thrilled.