View Single Post
Old 02-27-2019, 04:20 AM
NJ Quilter

Default ?? For those who use wide backings

How on earth do you possibly iron that stuff?!? This is the first time I'm using wide back fabrics on quilts. I have 2 (relatively) large quilts to deal with - one takes 3.5 yards; the other 6 yds of the wide backing.

I'm finishing these for my friend and quilting mentor who recently passed away. Of the remaining quilts to be finished she wanted 5 out of the 6 long armed (1 other to finish hand quilting). I have 4 of them going to one quilter in the coming days. It was her suggestion to use wide fabric. So I bit the bullet and purchased fabric online (which I've never done) and it is due to arrive today.

The original quilter - and I - are/were both pre-washers. So that is my plan with these two pieces. But how do I possibly iron a piece of fabric that is 108" wide!?!? I use my cutting table with towels laid on it to iron my regular yardage.

Granted, obviously, it's a matter of just moving it all left/right/forward/backward but sheesh! How does it not end up almost as wrinkled as before you started, lol??