Old 02-28-2019, 04:52 PM
Barb in Louisiana

Originally Posted by suzanprincess View Post
That's the chili I grew up with too, but there was no written recipe at our house. I made it for years myself, adding one stalk of celery, chopped, but Schilling brand chili powder has been changed in recent years so now I'm still trying to figure out how to achieve the taste I remember. Along with a pound of ground beef and a can of kidney beans I use a small can of tomato sauce, and when I double the recipe like to substitute a can of diced tomatoes instead of a second can of sauce. I use 2 tablespoons of chili powder in a single batch, and add more to taste, if needed, after the chili simmers a while. Little or no salt, as the chili powder mixture is usually quite salty already. A bit of sugar, garlic powder, basil and/or cumin sometimes improves the flavor. I also add up to a sauce can of water (which is one cup) as needed for thick soup consistency. Simmer for 15 minutes minimum, up to an hour.

Now I'm hungry for some good chili!
This is how I have made mine for years except we don't do beans in our chili. I don't know that I ever had a recipe. OOPS! I never added celery and have always added chopped onions.