Old 03-02-2019, 02:35 PM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

One other thing I want to mention, you don't have to use the same thread in the bobbin as you do in the top. Some people complain the trilobal poly is so slippery that it is hard for them to use in both bottom and top. I don't have issues but some have. I tend to use magnaglide prewound bobbins almost exclusively but my good friend who does show quilts and is an even bigger threadaholic than me, winds her own and uses decobob and invisifil in her bobbins because they are so fine the bobbin holds a lot of thread so less bobbin changes. I do not use Tut in the bobbin when I have it in the top mostly because it is such an expensive thread, I don't want to waste it in the bobbin when a less expensive alternative works just as well. Additionally because it is a heavy thread a bobbin doesn't go as far so more bobbin changes. But many do use tut in both bottom and top.

Experiment and have fun! Be patient and kind with yourself when it comes to tension adjustments. Many keep notes on what combos they like best and what tension settings work well with particular combinations. It won't take you very long to figure out which threads you like the best for what application you want (tight dense quilting as opposed to more open loose quilting).