View Single Post
Old 03-05-2019, 08:30 PM
quiltingshorttimer

Misseva--I commend your efforts and am kind of involved with a similar effort at my church for quilts of all sizes for kids going into the foster care system. Since I long arm quilt,and could not attend the day that they gathered to work on quilts, I volunteered to do any needed quilting and would donate the backing and bat. So far I have received 4 quilts--all had been bound and none had bat! Plus the seamstress, due to age, had not pressed the fabric creases out entirely and there were pucker problems to say the least. So these were quilted with a large meander and could be used as coverlets. I'm expecting the last 3-5 to also have a few issues--I know that one did as I saw it. the organizer was given lots of fabrics--most not actual quilt cotton, and a couple of machines and a Girl Scout troop to help the few sewers that showed up. So I definitely agree with others--kit up simple block (4 or 9 patch, jelly roll, rail fence, etc). If all sewing is going to be together you can do like we do with our beginner classes--create a 1/4" using moleskin or a stack of post-its and "mark" that 1/4" seam to enable better fit with blocks. Can I also suggest that maybe instead of having the youth do quilts, that you teach them simple sewing on large tote bags (most kids in group living don;t have a way to baggage their stuff) or bed organizers (drop pockets that allow them to keep a book, phone, flashlight, water bottle attached to their bed) or a simple pillow--making a quilt can be pretty intimidating. I worked with a group of 8th graders, all with a sewing class under their belt, making a QOV and it was pretty frustrating! Good luck!