Old 03-07-2019, 11:11 AM
Helen S

About 3 weeks ago, I bought this frame with the Baby Lock logo on it along with the Baby Lock Coronet, which is exactly the same machine and frame as the HQ Simply Sixteen and Little Foot frame, and all are made by HQ. I am not impressed with the frame.

I should now tell you that I previously owned an HQ Simply Sixteen and the 10 foot Studio Frame, but had to sell it due to moving into a smaller home and don't have as much space as I had in our other home.

So, here's my take...

Pro's:
It's a great size if you haven't got space for a larger set up.

Con's:
If you have previously owned a regular long arm setup, this is probably not going to make you happy.

I find that the clamps are very difficult to place and remove, the areas that have been quilted must be rolled up and held in place with what appear to be channel locks, which are also very difficult to use, the clamps, if not exactly placed, drag on the machine bed, we had to set the bar side pieces one notch higher than the book says to put the, because the bar was dragging on the machine bed.

When we tested one in the shop, it worked perfectly, but after getting mine all set up, in hindsight, have discovered that, in the shop, they had placed a quilt sandwich onto the frame and the backing fabric went completely side to side. This is not representative of how one would load a quilt onto a long arm frame. The fabric must reach side to side enough to clamp onto the side bars as well as top and bottom, which means you must use an excessive amount of fabric for your backing to make things work properly. You also have to make your quilt sandwich before placing it on the frame. What's the point in having the frame is you have to go to all this work beforehand and during the quilting process? It has taken the joy out of quilting for me.

I have a call in to the shop to change out my frame to a regular frame and will just set up half of the frame for the space I have. I should have done that in the first place, and will probably have to pay a restocking fee, but so be it.

Overall opinion: I have used the Little Foot frame twice in the 3 weeks I've had it, once to play and once to quilt a baby quilt. I'm sorry to say that I dislike it enough that I won't use it again.